Find solutions to the following common questions about SCORM importing:
LMSSetValue Error: Data Model Element Type Mismatch
With this error, make sure:
- You are using SCORM 1.2, not 2004.
- That the AICC_Lesson_Status is set to (exactly) "completed" on the appropriate page with the OnShowModVar action.
- That you deselect the "Web 2.0 Pop-ups" on publishing from Lectora.
Registration_FindActivityForThisScormObject Could Not Find Activity
Error message: "Registration_FindActivityForThisScormObject could not find the activity for learning object <GUID> Would you like to enter debug mode?"
When the SCORM course module is launched, data is written to at least two tables in the database, normally at the same time. If that data is written to one table first then to the other table 20 minutes later, instead of instantaneously, this error message will occur if a student tries to progress through the course during that 20 minutes.
This error was fixed in early 2010, but the tables may still falling temporarily out of sync with each other under unusual conditions. (The fix made in 2010 is a section of code that watches for a SCORM out-of-sync condition, and then repairs it instantly -- typically before a student sees a problem.)
However, it may still be possible for a student to receive the error. Typically, by the time an admin could log in as the student, the tables will have been synced up. If a student continues to get the error for more than 1 hour, it needs to be investigated further.
SCORM Learning Activity Not Set to Complete
There are two possibilities to fix this problem:
- If you have a SCORM activity that is not completing, check the SCORM settings. If the settings are: Frameset / New Window on Click, the AICC_Lesson_Status token 'completed' may not pass correctly. Changing the settings to New Window / Frameset will fix this problem.
- If the student is using Internet Explorer 9, change the student's browser to Compatibility Mode. Some previously-okay SCORM courses may have trouble with IE 9, but Compatibility Mode appears to get the student around the problem. This doesn't seem to be an issue with HealthStream courses, but it could be a problem with some customer-authored SCORM courses.
Captivate swf File Stops Loading in Browser
An older Captivate-built swf file may stop mid-download. To fix this, open the file in the latest version of Captivate and publish the file. Re-import the new SCORM content to HealthStream.
Unable to Log In to TestTrack
- If you are unable to log in to Test Track, double check your user ID and password.
- For the HealthStream version of TestTrack (and possibly for the one at SCORM.com also within SCORM Cloud,) if you enter the wrong password more than 5 times, you will be locked out.
Building and Testing SCORM Content With Tools Other Than Lectora
HealthStream accepts non-Lectora SCORM content, but it must be verified as SCORM-compliant. If you use Articulate, Captivate, or other SCORM producing tools besides Lectora, you must complete the SCORM package (including audio) and test it for SCORM compliance PRIOR to trying to upload it into the HealthStream Learning Center.
Follow these steps to use non-Lectora content:
- Work with your tool vendor (for example, Articulate or Adobe) to make sure the SCORM package is put together correctly. HealthStream does not offer support for Captivate, Articulate, or any tools other than Lectora, the HealthStream HTML Editor, and in some cases, Contribute. If you use one of these third-party tools, please work with your vendor to produce proper SCORM content.
- Test your output on a third party (neutral) SCORM site. To do that, get a free (or premium) SCORM Cloud account at www.scorm.com. The HLC accepts all SCORM-compliant content. If your package is not compliant after a test, work with your software vendor to resolve issues so that it can pass SCORM Cloud’s test of its "SCORMiness."
- Visually inspect all files being used to make sure that they comply with our authoring policies (search HLC help for “policies.” ) Lectora has a policy checker for HealthStream built into it. Articulate and Captivate do not, so you will have to complete this manually. The Authoring Center will not allow content on our servers if it does not meet our authoring policies.
- Once your content passes these tests, use the SCORM Import tool to import it into the HLC and set the completion modes properly.
- Review the HealthStream Lectora document (“Delivering Lectora Content Through the HealthStream Learning Center.pdf”) Ensure that your non-Lectora content uses the same SCORM settings and learning activity completion modes defined in this document.
- With Articulate, it is common for the SCORM zip file produced to be one level up from what is required with the SCORM tool. For example, if the extracted (unzipped) SCORM package creates a folder that has several files and folders in it, that will fail on our import.
When the package is unzipped INTO a folder, you should not see a folder at the top, but a couple of folders and some files, including an imsmanifest.xml file. If you get an error with an Articulate file having to do with not being able to find the imsmanifest.xml file, then the way it was zipped by Articulate is likely the reason.
The Value of the SCORM Import Tool in the HLC
Why should I use the SCORM Import Tool? What is its value?
The tools have lots of additional settings around those basic functions, but all of this can be handled by the SCORM aggregation itself. The LMS/SCORM settings handle the large gaping holes from simple reporting of scores, to the LMS and all the ways in which a SCORM object can be played. However, the SCORM standards leave a lot of areas uncovered. HealthStream has gone the extra mile to fill in those gaps with user-configurable settings. These settings are above and beyond anything required by the SCORM consortium and were co-developed by HealthStream and Rustici to provide a more robust experience for playing any SCORM-based course in the HLC .
The additional tabs of "SCORM Settings" are what HealthStream adds to our SCORM product to make it better.