1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 10:24 AM by Virginia Fleeger

2015 HeartCode® BLS Instructor-Led Hands-On Session Guidelines

hunter437

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been using the 2015 HeartCode® BLS Instructor-Led Hands-On Session and what was all involved in this, as some of my instructors have been asking what they will need to do to keep their BLS instructor certification valid, also any recommended best practices would be great!

• Re: 2015 HeartCode® BLS Instructor-Led Hands-On Session Guidelines
          Virginia Fleeger

Hi Bryan, I don't know if you ever got feedback on this...

The new 2015 Heartcode BLS Instructor-Led Hands on session is a replacement for 3 older programs :1) The G2010 Heartcode part 1, 2) the BLS for Prehospital Providers, and 3) BLS for Healthcare Providers online part 1.

Previously with the older BLS for HCP and Heartcode courses, you could conduct a skills session in about a half-hour and be done.  The 2015 Heartcode BLS Instructor-Led Hands on session is very different.  Now after completing the online portion, the students come to your instructors with the completion certificate and then they need to go through a class with the instructor that includes video in addition to the skills testing.  The G2015 BLS Instructor manuals have the agendas and lesson plans at the back of the manual.  Now for a new or inexperienced student the skills class will be about 2.5 + hours long.  For an experienced student (renewal only) the instructor can use the accelerated agenda which is about 90 minutes.  According to AHA - you are required to use feedback manikins that are capable of allowing the student to tell if their compressions are deep enough and at the correct rate.  Those I know doing the "skills checks" under the new guidelines are using the Prestan manikins with the feedback lights or other more sophisticated high-fidelity manikins like the qcpr annies & babies.  An additional requirement that many are struggling with is that AHA wants all students to participate in the team activity for the team cpr section.  AHA wants you to either schedule 3 or more students at one time or require single students to come back at a later date to complete the team activity before being awarded their course completion cards.

For your instructors, the difference will be 1) the need for feedback manikins, 2) the ability to play the required videos, 3) the increased class time, 4) scheduling multiple skills sessions at a time to meet the team activity requirement which AHA says is mandatory.  As far as your instructors are concerned, a skills session is equivalent to and meets one of the 4 classes in 2 years requirement.  To get cards, they must provide their TC with copies of the roster and the student's online course completion certificates only from the onlineaha.org website.

In my AHA Community Training Center team of over 60 instructors we have only one who has decided to continue offering the skills checks since they have become labor intensive and require better manikins and more time.  Our biggest customer complaints seem to come from physicians and nurses who previously loved the Heartcode course and would do the online course then schedule a quick skill session, all of which they could do on their own time and did not eat up so much of their schedule.  Now when you add up the time for the online course and then the new skills testing sessions, they feel It is better to just sit through a class since the time is about the same.   Our use of the online AHA courses dropped significantly with the new guidelines.

1 of 1 people found this helpful