5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 9:32 AM by Greg Poland

Why do you use the Completion Grid (in the Assignment Completion Drill-Through Report)?

Greg Poland

Did you know that the Completion Grid view of the Assignment Completion Drill-Through Report has been around for over 15 years?

The Assignment Completion DT Report has certainly evolved over the years as has customer needs for reporting. The Completion Grid was intended as a visual tool for referencing student statuses. It was never really intended to be printed (as we live in a world of letter-sized and legal-sized paper, and the parameters used in the Completion Grid almost always exceed these boundaries). The report often is configured with large numbers of students and courses, adversely impacting performance of the Completion Grid.

As HealthStream considers the future of this part of the report, we'd like to hear from those of you who use it - whether you love it or hate it:

Why do you use the Completion Grid?

• What information are you looking for in that particular view?
      • Do other reports offer the information you looking for?
        • If so, is that information easier to find on the grid than other reports?
        • If not, what exactly does the Completion Grid tell you that other reports don't?
      • Do you use either of the Delinquent/Past Due reports to find incomplete students?
        • If not, what would improve those reports?
      • If the Completion Grid portion of the report was available only as a data extract (.CSV file), how would that impact your use of this report and your satisfaction with it? (To be clear, this question is only about the Completion Grid -- not the entire drill-through report.

We look forward to your comments below as we conduct ongoing research into providing a better report experience for our customers.

Thank you!

• Re: Why do you use the Completion Grid (in the Assignment Completion Drill-Through Report)?
          Donna White

I hope I understood what you were asking for. I know the Completion Grid view has been extremely difficult to generate and export on Internet Explorer lately. It works MUCH better in Firefox, but that is not our company's default browser.

The TL; DNR is:

The Completion Grid view Past Due/Delinquent highlights are a helpful "at-a-glance" review for my managers who only have a few cost centers. Usually, the exported completion grid is preferable.

Why do you use the Completion Grid?

I send out the collapsed drill-through report to all our managers on a regular basis during the regulatory training windows. However, I also attach the completion grid as a spreadsheet for those managers who have never requested reporter access to HealthStream (and the ones who have it but can't remember how to use it.)

•What information are you looking for in that particular view?

I am looking for incompletes, past dues, or delinquents.

Do other reports offer the information you looking for? ◦If so, is that information easier to find on the grid than other reports?

The way the completion grid highlights Past Due is very helpful, but it is a bit much when I’m looking at the entire population. I don't really need the HTML view, as long as the expanded grid can be downloaded.

However, most of the department managers with Reporter access are limited to their specific cost center(s). With a small population, the at-a-glance nature of the HTML completion grid is extremely helpful to them. I show them this view during reports training, but I can’t verify how often they use it. My Excel-savvy managers prefer to export the data so they can sort, filter, and save.

◦If not, what exactly does the Completion Grid tell you that other reports don't?

• Do you use either of the Delinquent/Past Due reports to find incomplete students?

o If not, what would improve those reports?

I’m usually generating progress reports where managers also want to know who HAS finished, so the Assignment Drill-through is better. It also helps the managers catch the rare person who was left out of the assignment or assigned the wrong version.

I have run the Delinquent/Past Due for the new hires, since their shorter due dates means the focus is on who didn’t finish in time.

• If the Completion Grid portion of the report was available only as a data extract (.CSV file), how would that impact your use of this report and your satisfaction with it? (To be clear, this question is only about the Completion Grid -- not the entire drill-through report.)

The data extract file only would be fine for what I'm doing. I prefer the .CSV file over the Excel file (the Excel file has too much formatting that has to be undone for sorting and filtering). It would be nice if the data extract or Excel file had the Past Due/Delinquent automatically highlighted in some way. That’s the only advantage I see for the completion grid view.

Frankly, I only run the drill-through report in its collapsed form when I’m sending it out to the entire organization. When I’m running it for myself or a small group of people, I choose Completion Grid only and .CSV as the report criteria and skip straight to the download file.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Why do you use the Completion Grid (in the Assignment Completion Drill-Through Report)?
            Virginia Fleeger

The completion grid of the DT Assignment completion report is fast becoming among my top favorite features - here's how I use it - probably weird, but it works well for me.

• I run the DT assignment completion report for a specific assignment (group by department, add department, status layer by department) and then export to excel.
            • go back to the original report and click on "view the completion grid" for the same report, then export it to excel as well - this opens a second exel spreadsheet.
            • Then move just the completion grid from the second excel sheet to the end of the first excel spreadsheet and then delete what is left of the second excel sheet so that I only have one excel spreadsheet open. This gives me three tabs - Assignment completion drilldown (report summary - shows total % complete), Assignment comp drilldown details (shows assigned departments and completion %), and the assignmentdompcompltiongriddetails(lists the student details).
            • On the grid details, I clean this up by freezing the top row (header) then sorting the rest and deleting the other student/department/ etc rows and the department summaries (because they are on the 2nd page already.
            • Then I sort again and put them back in order by department - and then add filters to the top row so that managers can select just their departments and see the status of their people.  (I usually filter the completions out before I send it so that all they see are those not yet complete or overdue which is usually the most helpful for them)
            • I "pretty" up the report by expanding the columns and such to make it easier to read, and highlighting the "details" that I know the managers want to see, then save it and send it out.

While it may seem an involved process, I find that this one report with the grid feature has given me the best results overall for the managers who need this information.  Yes, they can run reports themselves - most won't,  but this way - especially using the completion grid seems to condense into the exact information my managers want and need.  The overall completion percentage (tab 1), their department stats (tab 2) and then (tab 3) - specific details of who in their departments they need to follow up with.  I don't know if Admins at larger institutions would find this to be too much work or not. 

To answer your question about whether 1)this would be useful as a CSV - probably for some.  I don't use csv as much as excel.   And  2) would it impact the use if this report - Definitely! I love this report and especially combined with the completion grid.   I find that this one report gives me more of what I need than the others - I personally love excel, and yes, it does have to be played with a bit, but I feel like this gives me the best bang for my buck so to speak when I'm doing completion reports.  I rarely ever send reports directly to the managers via HealthStream - I've found that they don't look at them, but if I export it and fancy it up where they can see at-a-glance  just what they need, they love it and use it.

Before the assignment alerts were activated in our system, I used to monthly run the delinquent/past due report monthly, export it, clean it up and send it out to the managers.  I find that it is useful for overall staff management, but the DT Assignment completion report is VERY useful before the assignment is due.  We've had some JIT training that needed to be completed by a certain date and I would run the DT report every few days so that managers knew who still had to complete. It is a quick way to see where you are at on an assignment.  I've used it with multiple assignments and it's a little more work, but it is still by far the best for assignment completion status.